Please join us in back-to-back protests November 28-29
The Rockford Light Brigade will join us on Thanksgiving evening, Thursday, November 28th at 7:00 PM as we picket the Walmart Store at Butterfield Road and Kirk Road in Aurora. That’s at 2900 Kirk Road in Aurora. This will be an especially festive and playful occasion as we surprise the shoppers lining up to shop for bargains. We will hold lighted signs so they can see us in the dark.
Walmart is the world’s largest retailer and the largest employer in the United States. According to the website Glassdoor, Walmart pays their average worker $8.87 per hour for a yearly income of $17, 841. They keep the wage floor low for all Americans. We, the taxpayers, subsidize Walmart because our taxes pay for the food stamps and Medicaid which keep Walmart workers and their families alive.
At every step in their supply chain, from unsafe garment factories in Bangladesh, to warehouses here in the US, to the stores we shop at, they exploit their workers. Meanwhile, six Walton Family members own more wealth than the bottom 30% of the American population.
Adding insult to injury, they make their store “Associates” work irregular, part-time, often unpredictable hours, and even require them to work on Thanksgiving Day.
Join us to protest this grotesque arrangement.
Thanksgiving Evening Nov. 28
7:00 PM WAL★MART at 2900 Kirk Road, Aurora, IL
The Illinois Light Brigade will join us with Lighted signs. The more people we have, the better the message we can spell out. We need as many people who can attend so we have a good amount of light-holders. Please email if you will be able to attend.
Black Friday Nov. 29
- Labor Board Sides With Workers: Wal-Mart Can’t Silence Employees Any Longer (billmoyers.com)
- Wal-Mart labor group promises 1,500 Black Friday protests next week (salon.com)
- Walmart Protests Promised To Be Even Bigger This Black Friday (huffingtonpost.com)
- With Workers On Strike And Company Under Labor Investigation, Walmart CEO Steps Down (addictinginfo.org)
- Expansion of retail hours on Thanksgiving energizes organized labor (stltoday.com)
- Walmart Store Initiates Food Drive For Own Workers (ktla.com)
- Fired Wal-Mart workers could get jobs back (money.cnn.com)
- Wal-Mart Stores CEO steps down; McMillon successor (boston.com)
- As Wal-Mart Workers Plan Record Black Friday Protests, Study Says Retail Giant Can Afford Higher Pay (democracynow.org)
- Walmart Worker Strikes Over Low Wages Reach Chicago (huffingtonpost.com)