Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Earth Day Service at Indiana Dunes Sponsored by the Student Conservation Association, West Beach, County Line Road, Portage, IN 46368, Saturday, April 30, 2016 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM (CDT) http://members.thesca.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=30386.0&dlv_id=60594
Great Western Trail Earth Day Clean Up
9AM Saturday April 30th
Swift Road and the Great Western Trail
The DuPage Greens along with Occupy Naperville and the Friends of the Great Western Trail will once again come together to assist in the annual volunteer trail clean-up. We’d love it if you joined us!
We will be cleaning the busy- and as a result, dirty- section of the Great Western Trail (GWT) immediately east of Swift Rd. to the bridge over I-355 in Lombard.
Parking: There is adjacent parking available on the Southeast corner of Swift Road and the Great Western Trail.
We welcome other trail users, supporters and neighbors to join us. The event will be from 9 AM to Noon, rain or shine.
If you want to join us, please indicate by accepting this Facebook invite or contact Steve Alesch at email@example.com or 630-779-8295.
Be careful out there so you can enjoy the trails year around. Here are some basic suggestions to help make the cleanup safer.
- We suggest that you wear gloves, long sleeve shirts and long pants to protect you from thorny bushes and/or broken glass along the trails.
- Bring trash bags and a wagon or cart to haul the filled trash bags out to the trail crossing.
- Please do not leave the filled bags along the trails.
- If you want to recycle bottles and cans you’ll have to separate them and take them to your home or local recycling bin. The local authorities and waste pickup companies do not accommodate recycling along the trails. Unless you see a recycling container do not assume it will be recycled.
- Be careful and if you see something too big or hazardous to pick up please advise us of the approximate location like north side of trail 1/4 mile east of the closest cross street by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. With that information we can get the appropriate authorities with the appropriate equipment to safely remove the items dumped along the trails.
More information about the Great Western Trails and this year’s cleanup may be found at www.friendsofthegreatwesterntrails.com