The cornerstone of Obama’s economic policy is the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which includes twelve countries throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
This back-room deal is a massive, supposed “free trade” agreement currently being negotiated in secret by more than 600 corporate lobbyists, government officials, foreign investors, and Wall Street bankers.
The TPP would grant multinational corporations extraordinary new powers to attack the laws we rely on to safeguard our families, businesses, food supply and neighborhoods.
- The TPP will outsource MORE American jobs to foreign countries. Can you compete with workers from Vietnam? Brunei? Malaysia?
- The TPP will allow multinational corporations to sue the U.S. government and American businesses in secret tribunals, outside of U.S. Courts.
- The TPP will expand pharmaceutical monopoly protections and institute longer patents that will decrease access to affordable medications.
- The TPP will allow the import of foreign goods that do not meet U.S. safety standards.
The TPP will rewrite Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement endangering innovation and the future of the Internet.
- The TPP is the largest trade deal in history affecting more than 40% of the global economy.
The TPP puts PROFITS over PEOPLE.
We the People don’t actually know what’s in the TPP because Obama has classified the negotiations as secret. Congress is not even allowed to discuss or research the deal with staff.
And once signed and ratified by Congress—it’s permanent.
What Can You Do?
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. FLUSH THE TPP!
The single most important person in this fight is Sen. Wyden OR. He is pro-TPP, but has been under pressure not to support fast-track. If he buckles, then it may fail!
He needs to hear your opposition to this destructive agreement. By contrast, Sen Sherrod Brown OH needs our support for his opposition to the TPP. Our own Sens. Durbin and Kirk also need to hear from you, as well as your U.S. Representative.
Contact Your Representatives:
President Obama: 202-456-1111 whitehouse.gov
Sen. Wyden OR: 202-224-5244 wyden.senate.gov
Sen. Durbin IL: 202-224-2152 durbin.senate.gov
Sen. Kirk IL: 202-224-2854 kirk.senate.gov
Sen. Brown OH: 202-224-2315 brown.senate.gov
House Switchboard: 202-224-3121 house.gov
“[TPP] is nothing more than a taxpayer-funded handout to corporations… and would be a giant step backwards in the fight against climate change.” ~May Boeve, 350.org executive director
The draft contains instructions indicating that it will be declassified only “Four years from entry into force … or, if no agreement enters into force, four years from the close of the negotiations.“ ~David Korten, Yes magazine, The leaked text is full of dense legal jargon. But a close reading makes its corporate agenda crystal clear